Saturday 9 June 2012

My fantasy trip to South Korea

All photos are from www.visitkorea.or.kr and personal collections.
안녕하세요.  Annyeong-haseyo.  Hello

Land of the Morning Calm
 - The only place in my mind

Land of the Morning Calm
is the ultimate destination
Where I will discover a various kind of experiences
in Seoul, Daegu, Busan or Daejeon  

It is the only place in my mind

No matter where; outskirt or uptown
I can find a whole lot more to be found
Soraksan, Gyeongbokgung  and Jeju Island
Landmarks of grandeurs
with rich history and cultures

Korea oh Korea, you shall be mine
I will explore a brand new world
Treasure memories that last a lifetime

Land of the Morning Calm
the only place in my mind

*******

 
My fantasy trip to Korea.... dunno when la..

If I have the money and the time to go to Korea, I will spend my whole two weeks there ...
·         learning about the history, cultures, traditions and lives of ordinary Korean.
·         savouring kimchi, bibimbap, bulgogi, fresh seafood (koatgaetang) and great local fruit.
·         learning the skills of pungmul, and techniques of making traditional handicrafts,  
           bokjumeoni, hwamunseok and norigae.
·         experiencing the exhilarating rides and games in Everland and Lotte World.
·         visiting various filming locations of famous Korean drama and movies.
·         capturing thousands of photos of the people, the attractions and the wonders.

It is very difficult to visit all the treasures and wonders of Korea in just two weeks. But I already well planned which places I want go and what I want to do there.

한국의 유명한 관광지는 어디 어디예요?
[Hanguk-ui yumyeong-han gwan-gwangji-neun eodi eodiyeyo?]
What are some of the famous tourist attractions?

First and foremost in my plan would be to explore the famous island, Jeju Island. I will travel there by KTX train from Seoul to Busan and from there will take ferry to Jeju Port. I will spend some time strolling in Seongsan Ilchulbong (Sunrise Peak) to enjoy its natural beauty. Apart from that, I will go for a picnic in Cheonjeyeon Falls and stopover at Seongeup Folk Village area to see the local community lifestyle.

Cheongjiyeon Falls
I will also visit the Teddy Bear Museum and Jeju Love Island that surely will turn my friends into envious green.  I hope I have enough time to visit other great attraction such as Yongduam (Dragon Head Rock), Jeju Stone Park, Manjanggul Cave, Hallasan National Park and of course, the Jeju Folklore & Natural History Museum. One week in Jeju might not enough, but I will visit the most of it.

My choice of accommodation would be the Seaes Hotel and Resort. I chose this hotel because it is a filming location of my favourite Korean drama ‘I'm Sorry, I Love You’. Arrgg..... i cried for hours watching this drama..  Just one night there and few more nights at one of the Koreastay accommodation.

If time permits, I would also love to participate in the Jeju Olle Walking Festival scheduled on 30 Oct – 3 Nov 2012 because walking through the mountains and along the coast is the best way to experience the unique and startling beauty of Jeju.
Seopjikoji
On this Island also, I definitely won’t forget to visit the various filming locations of many famous K-dramas and movies. Such as Odoelgae Rock area, Seopjikoji, Udo and Jungjumun Resort ,  a popular film locations for Boys over Flowers, Secret Garden, Il Mare, Love Wind Love Song, My Girl and many more.

“Is it you, Yu-jin?”  “Is it you, Joon-sang.”
Apart from Jeju Island, another island that caught my attention is Nami Island. I won’t waste my chance to witness the beauty of the `Winter Sonata' that I’ve seen in television before.  The island’s forest path surrounded by white birches and Korean white pines was one of the locations used during the filming of ‘Winter Sonata’, the famous Korean drama starring Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo. And also the current Malaysian movie entirely shot in Korea titled  Aku Ada, Kau Ada?
Yongpyong Ski Resort
After relaxing on the beautiful island of Nami, I will spend the night at Yongpyong Ski Resort. Yongpyong Ski Resort located in mountain Baekdudaegan is the largest ski and snowboard resort in Korea.  Even though I never saw real snow and never experience the coldness of winter, I definitely will try to learn how to ski on white snow.  I will embrace the coldness and enjoy the mountain atmosphere in winter, for the very first time.

Me at Korea Plaza, KL
Next, I will visit Mt Sorak National Park, one of the most beautiful mountains in Korea and the best place to be in awe of cherry blossoms in spring and maple leaves in autumn.  From photos, the mountains look magical and mysterious. I won’t miss an opportunity to visit the filming site of hit drama ‘Autumn in My Heart’ in Sokcho. No matter whatever I do in Yongpyong Ski Resort and Mt Sorak National Park, I’m sure it will become a good nostalgia to myself.
Soraksan Mountain
Back to Seoul, I will take some time to visit some of my friends, Seunghun, Jinho and HyungKim. Then I will begin my journey with a visit to the Gyeongbokgung Palace. The palace was built in 1395 by King Taejo, the first king and founder of the Joseon Dynasty. And the palace represents the best of traditional Korean architecture. I heard that the National Folk Museum of Korea and National Palace Museum of Korea are also located in the palace. I will get an opportunity to learn on religious ceremony, lifestyle, clothes, house and local community food through exhibitions held there.

한강에서 유람선도 타보고 싶어요. 
[Han-gang-eseo yuramseondo tabogo sipeoyo.]
I would like to take a cruise down the Han river also.

I’m certainly will spend my few nights in one of beautiful hanok in Seoul, my choice would be either Rakkojae Guesthouse or  Hanok Guest House Soriwool.  


Going around Seoul and Gyeonggi-do areas is not a problem with the conveniences of the Subway.   I won’t get lost because the subway is trouble-free to navigate as announcements and signs are posted in Korean and English language. And T-Money card makes it much easier.


With T-Money card and KTO brochures in my hand, it will be easy for me to visit other interesting attractions including the Suwon Hwaseong Fortress, Royal Tombs of the Joseon Dynasty Imjingak & DMZKorea Folk Village and watch the traditional performance especially traditional Korean dance such as Buchaechum and Taepyeongmu.

Traditional dances and music always grab my attention, and Korean is no exception. I would love to see with my own eyes, the gracefulness of the Korean dancers in their billowing Hanbok. Same as in Malaysia, Korean traditional dance is also accompanied by traditional instruments such as weolgeum, sogeum, pungmulbuk (traditional drums, flutes) and more.
Korean music instruments
During last days of my trip, I will spend it wisely in a fun and exciting way, at the magical world of fantasy, Everland Resort. I heard that it is one of the best theme parks in Asia Pacific, the largest and the most beautiful theme park in Korea. I won’t miss a chance to visit all the theme areas such as the Global Fair, American Adventure and Magic Island.  Hopefully I got a chance to see the Carnival Fantasy Parade and Moonlight Parade held there.

Another famous theme park in central Seoul is Lotte World. I’m pretty sure that I won’t get bored in this theme park. This is because there were many games that I can try out, from The Conquistador and Flume Ride, to Camelot Carrousel and The Adventures of Sinbad.

As an independent traveler, I won’t see any difficulty while travelling in Korea because:
1.       As Malaysian, I have visa exemption for visit within 3 months
2.       Transportation system is great, especially the Subway
3.       T-money card, very convenient
4.       Volunteer tour guides
5.       Koreastay program, cheaper accommodation within local community.
6.       Free walking tour in Seoul city.
7.       Masjid and halal restaurants are easy to find.

Being a Muslim, it is not difficult for me to find Halal Restaurant and also a Masjid for praying. A growing number of mosques have been established throughout Korea in recent years. For instance:
Seoul Central Masjid – Hannam-dong 732-21 Yongsan-gu Seoul
Macheon Masjid – Macheon-dong 366-3 Songpa-gu Seoul
Gyeonggi Gwangju Masjid – Yeogni 48-9 Gwangjus-eup Gwangju-gun Geyonggi-do
Anyang Masjid – Anyang-dong 618-132 Anyang Gyeonggi-do
Jeonju Masjid – Inhu-dong 2 1562-10 Deokjin-gu Jeonju Jeonbuk
Gwangju Masjid – Wolgye-dong 894-7 2nd Floor gwangsan-gu Gwangju
Daegu Masjid – Jamia Masjid Uthman Islam Center Jukjeon-dong 202-6 Dalseo-gu Daegu
Busan Masjid – Namsan-dong 30-1 Geumjeong-gu Busan
Jeju Masjid – Daelim Appartment 104-201 Yeon-dong 1399 Jeju

Finding a halal restaurant also is easy because there are several Halal restaurants in Korea which are very suitable for me to enjoy my Korean breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Some of the Halal Restaurants are India Gate, AlSaba, Wazwan, Chakraa, Ashoka, Usmania , Salam, Taj Mahal and many others.

Korean cooking class at Korea Plaza, KL

My first 'Gimbap & Kimchi Chigae'
"A meal is not complete without kimchi". I would love to savour the authentic local Kimchi. Kimchi is a traditional fermented dish made of vegetables with a variety of seasonings, a culinary treasure of Korea.  I tried making my own Kimchi few times but I’m unquestionably sure that the authentic Korean Kimchi tastes better.
My own kimchi recipe
Before fly back to Kuala Lumpur, I will stop by at Dongdaemun Market , to do my souvenirs shopping and also at the famous Korean market, Namdaemun to buy brooches and shoes for my mom. Not forgetting, I will also spend my money wisely at the Insa-dong Street to buy traditional handicrafts and korean teas. 

한국 도자기를 하나 사고 싶어요.
[Han-guk dojagireul hana sago sipeoyo.]
I would like to purchase Korean pottery.

Ermm... I’m positively convince that I fly to Korea with one bag but come back to Kuala Lumpur with 2-3 extra bags.
Korean handicrafts

Shopping time!!
KOREA:
So many great destinations
So many great attractions
So many great shopping areas
Sooooo little time.

Two weeks is not enough, maybe I should extend my trip for another 1 week. Good idea!
Three weeks independent backpacking trips to Korea? I must re-think and re-schedule my plan again. Nothing to worry because I know where to get the information from:

Official Korea Tourism Organization
Korea Tourism Organization (Malaysia)
Visit Korea Year
Seoul Tourism Organization
Jeju
Hi Seoul, Soul of Asia
Dynamic Busan
Fly Incheon
Gangwon-do Province
Visit Gyeongbuk
*Arirang is a Korean folk song, All lyrics are property and copyright of the owner.*

I wish all my dreams will come true soon.






2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your post. Gave me some confidence to travel. I intend to backpack to korea, to spend some leasure times there n intend to use your journey as a guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your post. Gave me some confidence to travel. I intend to backpack to korea, to spend some leasure times there n intend to use your journey as a guide.

    ReplyDelete